Billboard Removed After Confronting Indy 500 Balloon Release

balloon release
Photo by Pixabay

It’s tradition and it sure looks cool, but does that Indy 500 balloon release do more harm than good?┬áDanielle Vosburgh, co-founder of Balloons Blow, says yes. She funded the outcry billboard ad you see below in an effort to push Indianapolis Motor Speedway to stop the tradition of releasing thousands of balloons into the sky for the Indy 500. It was scheduled to be up until April 14, but has already been removed.

According to Vosburgh, Outfront Media told her an IMS rep contacted them to say it was an attack ad. IMS spokesperson, Alex Damron, said that no one from IMS contacted the billboard company nor were they given that authorization within their company. At this time, it is unclear why the billboard was taken down.

Vosburgh has made it her mission to keep pushing this initiative regardless of pushback like this. She will continue to inform others about the detriment on wildlife caused by the litter once the balloons fall back down to earth.

 

It had been scheduled to be on display until April 14.

Posted by IndyStar on Monday, March 18, 2019

Read full article from Indy Star.