Last night’s Emmys were reasonably entertaining. Nobody got slapped, and Kenan Thompson was a competent host. Here were some of the highlights:
1. Lizzo’s show “Watch Out for the Big Grrrls” won Outstanding Competition Program, and Lizzo got super emotional during her acceptance speech. She said, quote, “When I was a little girl, all I wanted to see was me in the media.
“Someone fat like me, black like me, beautiful like me. If I could go back and tell Little Lizzo something, I’d be like, ‘You’re gonna see that person, but [B-word], it’s gonna have to be you.” (Warning: There’s a B-word in this video.)
2. Sheryl Lee Ralph from “Abbott Elementary” also got the crowd riled up when she won Best Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series, by singing part of the Dianne Reeves song “Endangered Species“.
3. Steve Martin, Martin Short, and Selena Gomez from “Only Murders in the Building” presented an award, and did about two minutes of witty banter . . . which included Steve trying to sell us a reverse mortgage.
4. Mindy Kaling and B.J. Novak from “The Office” also did a great bit while presenting the Writing award for a Limited or Anthology Series or Movie . . . complaining about how much harder it was for them to churn out 22 episodes of a sitcom every year. (Warning: The video contains an unedited B-word.)
5. Jennifer Coolidge from “The White Lotus” won for Supporting Actress in a Limited or Anthology Series or Movie. And when the DJ tried to cut off her speech, she started DANCING.
(PROFANITY WARNING: This clip is uncensored.)
6. Pete Davidson was a surprise presenter for Outstanding Comedy Series, which “Ted Lasso” won.
But before getting down to business, he gave Kenan some dap. Quote, “The guy’s been in the zone for the past 30 years, just making us smile, nothing but net, and he’s an absolute treasure and I’m honored to call him a friend.”
7. They saved possibly the most uplifting moment of the night for last: Selma Blair, who’s totally WINNING her battle with MS, presented the award for Outstanding Drama Series. “Succession” won, FYI.
(And Selma is competing this season on “Dancing with the Stars”.)
8. One last, quick note: The In Memoriam segment did NOT snub Norm Macdonald. He was included in last year’s video. But a lot of people are complaining that Olivia Newton-John was left out this year.